- Approx. 28 separate land deals for over 1,205 acres proposed for residential development in the top 7 cities; MMR has a 64% share (over 768 acres), NCR a distant 2nd with a 12% share (approx. 150 acres)
- Total residential development potential at least 45-50 Mn sq. ft. area
- At least six land deals for over 411 acres planned for logistics, industrial park & township; Gurugram with a 67% land share, followed by Chennai with 20% share, Kolkata 8% & MMR 5%
- Approx. 58 acres in 3 separate deals for mixed development; 44 acres for commercial, 30 acres for data centres & approx. 9 acres for retail
Mumbai, December 6, 2021: Land is still the most precious resource amid rapid urbanization and quite a lot of this finite resource changed hands across the top cities during the pandemic. ANAROCK data indicates that many developers and entities sealed around 45 separate land deals cumulatively accounting for over 1,757+ acres of area across the top 7 cities between Q3 2020 and November 2021.
Of the total transacted land area, approx. 69% or 1,205 acres are proposed to be developed into multiple residential projects across these cities. The total development potential of these deals works out to at least 45-50 Mn sq. ft. of residential area.
As many as 28 residential land deals were closed across the cities in the last year:
- Land-starved MMR saw 11 land deals involving 768 acres of area – a 64% share of the total 1,205 acres of planned residential development across the top cities
- NCR came a distant second with 4 separate deals accounting for 12% of the total land deals with approx. 150 acres earmarked for development. This includes 3 deals for a total of 77 acres in Gurugram, and one deal for over 73 acres in Noida
- Kolkata saw 2 separate deals for over 92 acres of land on a joint development agreement (JDA) basis
- Hyderabad witnessed 2 separate land deals for a total of 78 acres
- Bengaluru saw 5 separate deals for a total of 59 acres earmarked for residential development, Pune saw 3 deals for approx. 42 acres, and Chennai saw 1 deal for 16+ acres.
The top developers who bought land parcels for residential developments include Godrej Properties, Sunteck Realty, Ashiana Housing, Mahindra LifeSpaces, M3M Group, and Runwal Developers.
“The last 7-8 months before COVID-19 (March 2020) saw limited land deals as the real estate industry was grappling with liquidity issues at the time,” says Santhosh Kumar, Vice Chairman – ANAROCK Group. “Then COVID-19 brought the sector to a virtual standstill for 3-4 months. For about a year, developers preferred to either service their debts or complete previously-launched projects.”
“However, from Q3 2020, activity resumed and several landowners who previously held fast to their land put their holdings up for sale. Resultantly, some prominent deals took place in the last one year, at more or less the same price points as the previous year. Many developers with the financial wherewithal saw this period as opportune to secure good land parcels in key micro-markets across the top 7 cities.”
Top Land Deals Across Cities
Deal in Quarter Landowner Buyer City Approx. Size (in Acres) Approx. Value (INR-crore) Proposed Development Q3-2020 Individual Sunteck Realty MMR 50 JDA Residential Q3-2020 Century Group Godrej Fund Management Bengaluru 15 700 Commercial Q4-2020 Anonymous Godrej Properties Bengaluru 18 150 Residential Q4-2020 HSIIDC Flipkart Gurgaon 140 432 Logistic Park Q1-2021 The Garodia Family Shapoorji Palonji Group MMR 500 521 Residential Q2-2021 Ramprastha Group Ashiana Housing Gurgaon 22.1 170 Residential Q3-2021 Kadam Developers M3M Group Noida 73 900 Residential Q3-2021 K Raheja Corp Brookfield Asst. Management MMR 30 550 Data Centre Q3-2021 Macrotech Developers Flyjac Logistics MMR 22.3 80 Industrial Park
Source: ANAROCK Research
Proposed Developments – Other Segments
Besides proposed residential developments, industrial, commercial, data centres, and retail also saw land acquired for development:
- Out of the total of 45 land deals for over 1,757+ acres, at least six deals for 411 acres of land are earmarked for a logistics & industrial park and township. Of this, two deals for over 275 acres were closed in Gurugram, followed by two deals in Chennai for over 83 acres, and one each in Howrah and MMR for 31 acres and 22 acres, respectively
- For mixed-use developments, three land deals for over 58 acres were closed – one each in MMR, Chennai and Gurugram
- At least five deals for at least 44 acres were closed for commercial developments in Bengaluru (3) and MMR (2). The details for one of these deals have not been disclosed
- At least 30 acres are proposed to be utilized for data centres in Navi Mumbai
- Approx. 9 acres have been earmarked for two separate retail developments
Danube Properties’ Dh525 million Opalz sold out on the first day of launch
October 4, 2022: Danube Properties, the UAE-based affordable housing developer, said, its latest project Opalz, a twin-tower residential project with...
Pacific Mall D21’s ‘Dussehra Celebrations’ drops the curtain with high attendance
New Delhi: Pacific Mall D21 organised a two-day Dussehra celebration and Garba Night, attracting massive turnouts. The special arrangement of...
Tata Value Homes sells over 100 residential units at New Haven, Bahadurgarh at launch
Delhi/Haryana October 4, 2022: With an aim to address the growing demand for quality homes in Haryana – Bahadurgarh, Tata...
Welspun Corp opens steel plant in Anjar
October 3, 2022, Anjar, Gujarat: Welspun Metallics Limited, a subsidiary of Welspun Corp Limited (WCL), the flagship company of the Welspun...
Over 1500 cyclists join Hiranandani Thane Cyclothon 2022 to support ‘Rhyme for Earth’ initiative
October 2, Thane: The Hiranandani Group hosted the first Hiranandani Thane Cyclothon today from its thriving Thane township, Hiranandani Estate. Over...
Ashiana Housing adds over 900 senior living units with Villas and Apartments with the launch of Ashiana Advik in Bhiwadi
New Delhi, October 3, 2022: New Delhi-based real estate developer Ashiana Housing has announced the launch of Ashiana Advik in Sector 39, Bhiwadi....
Developers Speak3 weeks ago
Festive season to spurt bookings: Experts
Developers Speak3 weeks ago
Chandni Chowk at the Centrepiece in tune with the wave of Commercialisation
Report4 weeks ago
Private equity inflow in PropTech firms up 5% to $270 mn in H1 2022: Housing.com
News4 weeks ago
BHIVE receives Rs 240 cr commitments for its ₹ 400 cr Real Estate Fund
New Launches4 weeks ago
Makemyhouse.com expands in India, introduces partner program in 60 cities
Developers Speak4 weeks ago
With Flight Testing in MOPA Airport, spotlight turns to North Goa
Report3 weeks ago
Shop-cum-Office segment grows 30-40% in the past 12 months: 360 Realtors’ study
Report3 weeks ago
Coworking share in office real estate up at 20% in H1 2022 from 6% in 2021: Report