Vastu is an ancient Indian art that harnesses the energy of natural elements like the heat and light of the sun, the gravitational force of earth, the direction of winds, the intensity of rainfall etc and uses them to balance with the surroundings of mankind. Vastu Shastra is a rising trend among the Indian households because of the positive effects it brings to one’s life and when it comes to cooking area direction, its involvement becomes even more important. In this article, we try to focus on the concept of cooking area Vastu.
A cooking area is a place where our daily food is cooked. The cooking area is an extremely important part of the Vastu, wherein the healthy food for the family is cooked. Every housewife wants to have organised, spacious and muddle free cooking area. Today cooking area is not only a place for preparing food but also a place which welcomes your guest after your living room. There can be no other place in your house or apartment as important as the cooking area. However, today cooking area becomes a compact, efficient, safe and easy place to work and so the Vastu for the cooking area is different.
Vastu concepts of the cooking area: In ancient times, cooking was done on open stoves and the washing of utensils and preparation of food were done in outside. Concepts of cooking area Vastu were primarily based on the directions of Sun and the wind. Hence Cooking area direction plays an integral part in Vastu Shastra. Cooking area Vastu helps to balance energy in your Cooking area and maintain peace and happiness in the life of family residing in that home or apartment.
Cooking area should always be to the South East corner of the house or at least to the North West corner of the house. Avoid placing the cooking area at the North East corner of the house which may lead to lots of unrest, quarrels, and misunderstanding between the members of the house, unnecessary expenditure, worries, and tensions. It is also better to avoid the cooking area at Southwest side. Otherwise, it is also likely to cause many difficulties and worries to the owner.
Whichever direction the site might face, it is best to have the cooking area in the Southeast. The cooking stove should be placed in the Southeast and it should be lit facing the East. By doing so, the house owner’s health and peace of mind increases.
In a South facing the house, it might be difficult to have the cooking area in the Southeast hence the cooking area may be set up in the Northwest room. In a Northwest cooking area, the stove has to be placed in the South-East, facing the West and the person lighting it should always face the East. In North-West cooking area, the stove can be placed in the North-West in West, only when it is inevitable. By doing so, the stove faces the East and the person lighting the stove faces the West. As a result, the guests coming to the house increase and the women have to frequently light up the stove more often for coffee and other refreshments for the guests.
At no cost should the cooking area be situated in the Northeast at in East or at North and it is very bad if already done so. If done so, the household money gets spent fast, there are always tensions and quarrels going on and any kind of accident may befall the people of the household. It is not that the cooking area should not be set up in the South, West or South-West rooms. The stove has to be placed in the south-East & East, facing the West and the stove should be lit facing the East. People newly constructing houses should see that the Cooking area should not be set up in the South-West, West or South rooms, as they make a good bedroom for the house owner and his children to sleep in. In a cooking area, the eastern slab should not touch the eastern wall.
Attics should not be put up to store articles in the East and North. In a cooking area, the storage shelves and attics should be in the south and West. The Cooking area should have its heavier articles placed in the South and West like the fridge, grinding machine, heavy vessels, and water storage drums. The slab is put up in the East, away from the Eastern wall, by a gap of 1Inch care should be taken that the slab should not be reaching the Northeast. The shelves, slabs, and attics are in the South and West. The stove is in the South-East in East.
Placement of cooking area: In previous days our elders said that we have to maintain only one stove or burners, on those days they were using only firewood burning for food making. On those days they were very cautious on every part of life, while in the cooking area they were mostly planned to construct it at outside the house, still, in villages, we can observe the cooking areas at outside the house only.
What is it mean; those days our elders didn’t have fire engines, firefighters etc. So for each and every part they were taking as a serious thing and planning for strict proof of health and safety purposes. Nowadays we are not using the firewood for cooking the food, we are modern people with all variety of deceases and we plan everything in western country styles. We are using only gas stoves that to the stove are compulsory stable stand at on open dais at the cooking area. Our elders were more cautious on our security. Cooking area means fire, those days they were using the firewood for cooking and the top was also made with bamboos. There was every possibility of fire to the house. That is the main reason our elders put the cooking area out of homes. Nowadays there are no such accidents.
Burners & stove placement: Regarding burners in the cooking area also, there is no count on this. You can plan for three burners or two burners or four burners stove to be placed at the cooking area. Even one burner is not a problem. Faith is different and Vastu is different. Don’t see the odd burners of stove burners.
Stove placement at cooking area: Here is a small narration on stove placement at cooking area. We observed several rich peoples’ houses. Some cooking areas (stove) are towards facing to south and some are towards facing to north also. It’s not a serious problem, but only thing is the placement of cooking area in the house is important. For example placement of cooking area in north-east is not good, so from olden days our elders had planned to place the cooking area at southeast only. It’s called ‘Agni corner’. Cooking area means “fire” so the fire can sit and fit at fire (Agni) place. The northeast cooking areas are giving much trouble to the inmates, so it’s always better to place and construct the cooking area at southeast or next best place is northwest parts. Maximum try to place the stove towards east side, i.e., while we cook, our face is towards the east side. This is the advisable suggestion.
Cooking area store: Storage is essential for today’s Cooking area. You can make your cooking area muddle-free by using two types of storage such as open and closed storage. Open storage includes the advantage of hanging storage and open shelves. Closed storage consists of cabinets, drawers, pantries, and Islands. Both open and closed storage create muddle-free space in your cooking area and depend on your cooking area design. Cabinets are the first choice to make a cooking area muddle-free. They provide closed storage to the cooking area. Cabinets are very useful to reduce muddle from your cooking area but they should be organised and muddle-free. Drawers are also made efficient storage for the cooking area.
Vastu tips for cooking:
• Prosperity ushers if East is chosen as the direction for the cooking area.
• Another direction best suitable for constructing the cooking area is the northwest direction.
• If the plot of the land is diagonal, constructing a cooking area in northwest direction is not recommended.
• The arrangement of the direction for the cooking area should be such that the doors should be placed in the northeast or north corners of the room. Windows must occupy the east direction.
• Clean your cooking area cabinets, drawers and pantries regularly and throw out food that you think has become harmful to eat and you don’t need or use it anymore.
• Some people find racks easy to access than anything you place in the cooking area. You can opt for a wall or ceiling hung rack to store larger items of the Cooking area, such as pans wasted overhead space. Place wall-rack along the wall to store plates, bowls and upper area for full-size utensils. Racks will always help to make your Cooking area muddle free and provide your Cooking area loft or oriental style.
• The cooking area should ideally be in the southeast corner of the house, its windows on the east and south sides. There can also be a window on the west side. If the Cooking area cannot be in the southeast corner, it is all right to place it in the northwest corner. The Cooking area should not be next to or across from a toilet, nor should it be directly in front of the main door.
• Cooking should be done in the southeast corner or on the east side of the cooking area. It is best to cook while facing east, but facing north is also all right. It is advisable not to put the stove on the northern wall. The stove should not be in front of the cooking area’s door.
• Electrical items such as microwaves, grinders, and mixers should be placed in the southeast corner of the cooking area. The sink should be in the northeast corner. The southwest wall should be used for storage. The refrigerator should be in the northwest, southeast, south, or west. It should not be placed on the northeast side. If it is on the southwest side of the Cooking area, be sure to set it away from the wall.
• If there is a dining table in the cooking area, it should be placed on the north or west side. The door to the toilet should not face the dining table. Cooking areas should be painted yellow, rose, red, orange, or chocolate brown. If possible, do not paint the walls white or black.
• Southeast corner of the house is the perfect cooking area direction. The southeast corner is dedicated to the Hindu god Lord Agni who prevents fire. Hence this direction is appropriate.
• The northeast corner should never be used for constructing the cooking area. This direction is best suited for living rooms and meditation rooms because the morning sunrays fall on this direction early as compared to other directions.