Vaastu is the ancient science of technical and architectural construction and it doesn’t apply just to our residencies rather Vaastu widely affects us in every sphere of life. Specifically the office is an area where administrative or management related specific duties are performed. The term “office” may refer to business related area for operational tasks. As per Vaastu, an office is an architectural and designing structure that has been built to enable us to earn our livelihood.
Our homes and the office both should be in harmony to enjoy maximum peace, joy, prosperity, happiness, health and bliss. Workspaces should be harmonized as much as possible because many people spend the prime hours of the day at work. Even if the space does not belong to you, you spend precious time within the office; neither is it simply a “temporary” space. Rushing through work and not respecting the environment can be a cause of tension and hostility for the individual.
Basic office Vaastu tips
• People in decision-making positions should avoid sitting under a beam as they may find it difficult to make the right decisions. Such beams can be concealed by false ceilings.
• Waiting areas for customers should be in the northwest. Ideally, the reception area should be the lowest in height and it would be encouraging if a customer has to take three steps to the business or display area.
• The reception should be placed in the northwest and the water cooler or dispenser should be placed in the northeast corner. The reception area — which is important as it provides the customer with the first impression of the business should be located in the northeast. The staff manning the counter should face the entry. Other favourable locations are east and north.
• The centre of the office should be kept empty. If the office has a prayer room, it should be located in the northeast and should be kept clean and free from the weight. Showcases, racks and cupboards should be against western and southern walls. If the office has a pantry, it is highly recommended it be placed in the southeast quadrant. There must be no toilets or pantry in the northeastern corner.
• Water bodies must be placed in the northeast or eastern region. Flowing water can be really beneficial for such areas, so it is important to ensure that you use some water bodies as a part of Vaastu in office. The water bodies that you buy should be placed in the northern or the eastern corners of the office, for this is where they will get maximum attention and importance as well. Fish in the water can be really helpful in promoting Vaastu in the office. You can have an aquarium with one blackfish and nine goldfish. This is believed to be one of the most significant ways to enhance positive Vaastu in office spaces.
As per Vaastu, the place of business or the office should be in tune with the five elements of ether, air, fire, water and earth so that the management and employees work in harmony to achieve success. Vaastu principles are made keeping in mind various energy fields emanating from different directions. These diverse energy fields affect the various dimensions of our life.
But if we make an office against Vaastu norms, we will find ourselves standing against the natural forces. One of the basic aims of Vaastu is to extract the maximum out of natural forces so that we can get maximum energy for each and every field of life. If we are standing in opposition to nature, some of the energy fields are obstructed and we will find ourselves lagging behind in several spheres of life.
A Vaastu-friendly office can help foster a strong harmonious relationship between the occupant and his or her colleagues, so the space should be treated with respect.
Vaastu principles for offices takes into consideration many factors like proper location of the office, office exteriors in terms of its slope, shape, etc., direction in which different departments of the office and the reception are located, the position of various electronic gadgets and many more details. Here are some following points to be considered:
The Boss: The highest level of operators and workers in the company should be located in the west, south or the southwest part of the office. The boss should occupy the largest room in the south-west, and it should be away from the main entrance. This brings good Vaastu in office spaces.
The managing director of the office should occupy the southwest quadrant and should face north while sitting at his or her desk. The flooring in the room should be 7cm to 15cm higher than the rest of the office. His or her table should be in the extreme southwest corner of the room, and it would be auspicious if the door to the room were in the northeast quadrant.
The person in command, like a general manager or manager, should occupy the south and west quadrants. He or she should sit facing north while occupying a southern room and should face east in a western room. All other staff should sit facing east.
The finance managers should sit in the north quadrant facing north or east, as this will yield enhanced financial results. The administration and human resources departments should be in the east.
The middle-level management should have their offices located in the northern and the eastern zones and the field staff can be given offices in the northeastern part of the office. This promotes maximum amount of cooperation and also ensures that people cooperate with each other within the office.
The technical department in the office should be located in the southeastern part of the office, for this is the direction that stands for prosperity and when the accounts department is positioned there, it will be able to attract more returns.
The marketing department is all about connecting with the people and making sure that they are approachable and saleable, so this department should be located in the northwestern portion, where harmony can be easily promoted.
The accounts department should be placed in the north, sales staff in the northwest — these locations are important for the staff because they are related to health and the state of mind. A wrong location can result in staff feeling fatigued, stifled in the exchange of ideas and restless. Tables or counters should be designed in such a way that sales people face either east or north and the customers face west or south. The sales staff should occupy the northeast quadrant.
(The writer is a vastu expert who holds a PhD in Vedic Astrology & Masters of Vedic Vastu.)