Q1 2022 housing sales at all-time high over, 99,550 housing units sold in top 7 cities
Mumbai, April 1, 2022: Quarterly housing sales in Q1 2022 are at an all-time high since 2015 with approx. 99,550 units sold across the top 7 cities, reveals latest ANAROCK Research data. This is a 71% yearly rise against approx. 58,290 units sold back in Q1 2021. The two leading realty hotspots – MMR and NCR – accounted for over 48% of the total sales in the top 7 cities, with NCR witnessing an over 114% yearly jump.
New launches across the top 7 cities witnessed a 43% yearly rise – from 62,130 units in Q1 2021 to over 89,150 units in Q1 2022. As in the previous quarter, MMR and Hyderabad saw the maximum new supply, accounting for 51% of the total new launches across the top 7 cities. Individually, the two cities saw 59% and 71% yearly increases in their new supply, respectively.
Despite spiralling new launches in this and the previous quarter, unsold inventory in the top 7 cities saw a approx. 2% yearly decline – from 6.42 lakh units towards Q1 2021-end to approx. 6.28 lakh units by Q1 2022-end. Even on a q-o-q basis, unsold stock saw a 2% dip across the top 7 cities. Chennai, MMR, and NCR saw the highest yearly declines in Q1 2022 – by 11%, 10% and 9%, respectively.
“The bull run in the housing market continued in the first quarter of 2022, with approx. 10% q-o-q and 71% y-o-y growth in sales, thus recording all-time high quarterly sales since 2015,” says Anuj Puri, Chairman – ANAROCK Group. “The impact of the third Covid-19 wave was significantly lower than of the preceding two waves. The unrelenting appetite for homeownership amid the pandemic has coupled with a growing certainty of impending price rises to speed up housing sales velocity.”
New Launch Overview
The top 7 cities recorded new launches of around 89,150 units in Q1 2022 against 62,130 units in Q1 2021, increasing by 43% over the previous year’s corresponding period. The key cities contributing to new launches in Q1 2022 included MMR (Mumbai Metropolitan Region), Hyderabad, Pune, and Bengaluru, together accounting for an 82% supply addition.
- MMR saw approx. 23,640 units launched in Q1 2022 – a significant increase of nearly 60% over Q1 2021. More than 57% new supply was added in the sub-INR 80 lakh budget segment
- Hyderabad added approx. 21,550 units in Q1 2022, a yearly increase of 71% over the corresponding period last year. Over 63% new supply was added in the INR 80 lakh to INR 2.5 Cr price bracket
- Pune added new supply of approx. 14,490 units in Q1 2022 compared to 13,820 units in Q1 2021 – an increase of 5%
- Bengaluru added approx. 13,210 units in Q1 2022, a significant yearly increase of 72%. Approx. 65% new supply was added in the mid-range and premium segments, i.e., the INR 40 Lakh – INR 1.5 Cr. price bracket
- NCR saw an increase of 38% in new launches over Q1 2021 of the previous year with approx. 9,300 units launched in Q1 2022
- Chennai added approx. 3,060 units in Q1 2022, a yearly decrease of 34% over Q1 2021. It was the only city to see a decline in new supply
- Kolkata added approx. 3,900 units in Q1 2022, a significant increase of 115% over Q1 2021. Approx. 55% new supply was added in the affordable segment
|City-wise New Supply (in Units) & Percentage Change|
|Cities||Q1 2022||Q1 2021||% Change (Q1 2021 vs Q1 2022)||Q4 2021||%Change (Q4 2021 vs Q1 2022)|
Source: ANAROCK Research
Overall Sales Overview
Approx. 99,550 units were sold in Q1 2022 – a significant increase of 71% over Q1 2021. NCR, MMR, Bengaluru, Pune, and Hyderabad together accounted for 89% sales in the quarter.
- Hyderabad recorded sales of 13,140 units in Q1 2022, a massive spike of 199% over Q1 2021 – mainly due to continuous flow of new supply in the city over the past 5-6 quarters
- NCR and Kolkata also saw massively increased sales in Q1 2022 when compared to the other top cities. Sales in NCR and Kolkata increased by 114% and 124% respectively over Q1 2021, with approx. 18,835 and 5,990 units sold, respectively
- MMR and Bengaluru saw housing sales increase by 43% and 55% respectively in Q1 2022 against Q1 2021, with approx. 29,130 and 13,450 units sold, respectively
- Chennai saw approx. 4,985 units sold – an increase of 75% over Q1 2021
- Pune saw 14,020 units sold in Q1 2022, increasing by 33% over Q1 2021
|City-wise Absorption (In Units) & Percentage Change|
|Cities Name||Q1 2022||Q1 2021||% Change (Q1 2021 vs Q1 2022)||Q4 2021||%Change (Q4 2021 vs Q1 2022)|
When compared to Q1 2021, the increase in overall absorption in the top 7 cities in Q1 2022 resulted in an overall reduction of 2% in the available inventory by Q1 2022-end – from approx. 6.42 lakh units in Q1 2021-end to approx. 6.28 lakh units by Q1 2022-end. Chennai, MMR, and NCR witnessed the highest reductions in available inventory in Q1 2022 when compared to Q1 2021 – by 11%, 10%, and 9% respectively.
Price Movement Average residential property prices across the top 7 cities increased in the range of 2-5% in Q1 2022 when compared to Q1 2021, mainly due to increase in the prices of construction raw materials. Hyderabad recorded the highest 5% annual jump.
Shubhashish Homes completes Phase 2 handover of Shubhashish Geeta Property
New Delhi, 31 May 2023: Rajasthan based real estate developer, Shubhashish Homes, announced the successful completion of the Phase 2...
Automovill opens 10K sq ft workshop in Kolkata
New Delhi, May 30, 2023: Automovill, a Bengaluru-based Full-Stack Mobility solution provider, has announced the opening of its latest workshop in...
AltF Coworking to launch 2 properties in NCR
New Delhi, May 2023: AltF Coworking, a co-working solutions provider, has announced the launch of two new properties in Noida...
Agrocorp forays into residential plotted developments with ALPL One
Bangalore May 29, 2023: Real Estate Development Company, Agrocorp, on Monday announced that it is prepared to introduce resort-style villas,...
CBRE’s Consulting and Valuation business division to expand its portfolio and strengthen government advisory business by doubling the team size
New Delhi, May 29, 2023: CBRE South Asia Pvt. Ltd, on Monday said it plans to strengthen government business advisory...
Gulzar Malhotra is Gera Developments CEO
Pune, May 26, 2023: Gera Developments, has announced the appointment of Gulzar Malhotra, as its Chief Executive Officer. Gulzar Malhotra will...
News4 weeks ago
Retail leasing up 130% Y-o-Y in Jan-Mar’23
Guest Column4 weeks ago
Commercial RE: Evolving trends & insights
New Launches4 weeks ago
BPTP launches residential project, District 4 in Sector 84, Faridabad
New Launches4 weeks ago
91Springboard launches 1000+ seater Platinum hub in Gurugram
New Launches4 weeks ago
BST Developers launches “BST-Green Bhoomi”
News3 weeks ago
Tribeca appoints new Head of Business Development, Somendra Sarwal
New Launches3 weeks ago
SAYA launches SAYA STATUS, India’s Tallest Mall
News4 weeks ago
Ganga Realty to invest Rs 400 cr in its maiden high-street retail project in Sohna