To nurture the sports talent of the country and groom a sizeable number of medal hopes for international sports events, the Ministry of Steel has launched a first of its kind initiative by formulating a Corporate Sports Policy for its Central Public Sector Enterprises. The policy document was released by Shri Chaudhary Birender Singh, Union Minister of Steel at a function held at SCOPE Complex, New Delhi in the presence of Shri N Baijendra Kumar, IAS, CMD, NMDC Ltd and Chairman, Sports Committee, Ministry of Steel, Shri Saraswati Prasad, IAS, Special Secretary & Financial Advisor, Ministry of Steel and Chairman, SAIL and other senior officers of the Ministry of Steel and its CPSEs on 27th August 2018.
In his address, the Hon’ble Steel Minister observed that sports has now become an agent of social change, and people in large numbers are embracing it as a career option rather than a waste of time. He mentioned that sports achievements are an indicator of national development, and every entity should play a role in the promotion of sports. India’s steel sector contributes more than 2% to GDP, so the steel sector can very well think of making a similar contribution to sports.
As indicated in the policy, the steel CPSEs can play several role, viz.:
- Enabling: providing infrastructure, venue, facilities, institutions etc.
- Facilitating: sponsorship, aid, privileges etc.
- Incentivising: like felicitation, publicity, rewards etc.
Some salient features of the sports policy are:
- CPSEs under MoS will discharge this responsibility through infrastructural and institutional support for Talent Spotting, Scholarship, Training, Coaching, Workshop, Camp, Visits, Counselling, Special Leave, Flexi Working
- CPSEs under MoS will also sponsor, fully or partly, various national and international sports events and sportspersons.
- CPSEs under MoS will form an Apex Sports Body (ASB) which will get affiliated to National Sports Associations/Federations, Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and Para Olympic Federation/Association.
- ASB will not only oversee Sports activities of CPSEs under MoS, but also facilitate smooth participation of talented sports persons in National and International events. The headquarters of ASB will be at New Delhi.
- CPSEs will involve in systematic activities of promoting 2 to 3 sports disciplines assigned to them by MoS.
- Maharatna and Navaratna CPSEs under MoS may set up Sports Academies/ Nurseries in at least one of the identified sports disciplines and maintain other sports infrastructure, including general fitness equipment and facilities.
- Fresh cadets will be inducted every year in the Academies to replace those passing out. Target population for selection of cadets will be all India basis, with special focus on areas that have native talent for specific sports.
- CPSEs under MoS will engage Medal Winners of National/International level recognized events as Brand Ambassadors/Sports Guide on regular employment/ fixed term, as mutually agreed.
- CPSEs under MoS will encourage Rural Sports, Sports for Differently abled, Sports for Veterans and Activities for Homemakers and the Elderly by sponsoring annual or periodic sports events in part or full.
- ASB will seek affiliation to Indian Olympics Association (IOA) and Para Olympics Association to attain national and international presence and identity and to obtain expert support from National Institute of Sports (NIS) and other such bodies, as required.
- CPSEs under MoS will allocate a specific budget for Sports activities and will extend financial support as per their capability and financial strength. They will also plan for one-time measure in each financial year.
- Besides contributing to the ASB fund, individual CPSE will have their annual budget. The annual budget provisions shall have Essential Financial Commitments (EFC) towards sports, which will cover:
- Maintenance of existing systems, infrastructure, institutions.
- Running of Sports Academies / Nursery
- Sports Scholarships/financial aid to promising Sports persons
- Salaries, Stipend, Remuneration to cadets / supporting sports personnel
The budget will also provide for:
- Supporting community sports
- Felicitating International / National laurels winners
- Sponsoring Sports events – partially or fully
Hon’ble Minister also appreciated that the good work done by the steel CPSEs have rewarded the country with medals and sports infrastructure.
Earlier, Shri N. Baijendra Kumar said that this policy will give adequate access to sports and support them for wholesome training, positive health, competitive excellence, livelihood, social harmony and goodwill. To help accelerate this change, the Sports Policy of steel CPSEs would be supplementing the government initiatives and promote sports in their respective areas of operations, he added.
Shri Saraswati Prasad in his address said that this Policy will be the change maker in society. He also told about various sports promotion schemes which SAIL runs in its various operational projects across the country.
Shri Sandeep Tula, Director (Personnel), NMDC in his welcome speech gave details about the salient features of this policy. Shri MC Agrawal, Executive Director (Corporate Affairs), SAIL proposed the vote of thanks.
Wrestling coach Shri Prem Singh, international athlete and marathoner Dr. Sunita Godara and other dignitaries were also present on this occasion.